In the 15 minutes between when I found out I was pregnant and when the morning sickness hit, I started putting together a Pinterest board of recipes to make in the weeks leading up to my son’s birth. Ask me how many I’ve made so far. No seriously, ask.
The answer: zero.
After a reader in a similar predicament asked me for some suggestions, I shared my board with her, and also realized how much I had neglected it. Time to start over, only this time I am skipping the Pinterest board, and going straight to the kitchen.
Now that I am on maternity leave and this baby, despite my, let’s say, strong encouragement (aka begging), seems to be totally unwilling to face the big, bad world until it is absolutely necessary (who can blame him?), I’m playing catch up and stocking my little mini freezer with all of the meals that I can possibly fit.
With that in mind, I’ve been compiling recipes for breakfasts, lunches, dinners and sweets (aka 3am snacks) to keep us well fed and prevent us from turning into walking encyclopedias of neighborhood takeout options while we get the hang of this parenting thing.
So, here’s what is on the make-ahead-and-freeze menu…
1. Paleola (grain-free granola)
2. Fauxt-meal (grain free hot cereal)
19. Ginger Scones (recipe coming soon!)
20. Blueberry Scones
22. Sandwich bread (for quick sandwiches or French toast)
30. Chipotle lime cauliflower hummus (bean-free!)
34. Chicken Fingers (freeze the dipping sauce separately)
35. Lettuce wraps (freeze the filling only, not the lettuce)
37. Turkey burgers
44. Chicken pot pie
46. Meatballs (freeze with the sauce, or freeze the sauce separately)
50. Pulled BBQ chicken (or pork)
54. Kedjenou chicken (African braised chicken stew)
55. Shepard’s Pie
59. Chicken piccata
60. Italian meatloaf
67. Cashew chicken
70. Butternut squash and spinach lasagne (use gluten free or Capello’s grain free noodles)
73. Chicken Posole (Posole Verde) (contains corn/hominy, but you can leave it out)
74. African Cashew Stew (you can use almond or peanut butter instead of cashew butter)
81. Quick chili
97. Baked apples