Grain free crust recipe here
This dish is pretty basic, but hugely adaptable. Here are a few suggestions...
- Add or replace the red peppers with zucchini, asparagus or mushrooms. If you are adding more veggies than the recipe calls for, reduce the eggs accordingly.
- Replace the onion with leeks.
- Replace the spinach with cake, collard greens or chard.
- Throw in whatever fresh herbs you have on hand (chives and thyme are my favorites for this quiche).
- Go the Spanish Tortilla route and add thinly-sliced white or sweet potatoes.
- Make the (prebaked) crust ahead of time, cool completely, and tightly wrap with plastic wrap. Freeze until you are ready to make the quiche, then bring the crust to room temperature before filling.
- Skip the crust altogether.
- Make it ahead without a crust, slice into portions and freeze. Reheat each piece in the microwave as you need them. (Note: you can freeze it with the crust, but expect the crust to be a bit soggy when you defrost it)
- Swap in liquid egg whites for some or all of the whole eggs. I typically use a 3-6 whole eggs and the rest whites. The conversation is 3 Tablespoons liquid egg whites = 1 whole egg.
- Increase the nutritional yeast or replace with cheese for a more prominent "cheese" flavor. If you increase it, you may want to reduce the salt slightly.