Grain Free Flatbread
This grain free flatbread is such an easy and versatile recipe that is an amazing basis for sandwiches, wraps and ethnic food!
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 3 flatbreads
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flours, baking soda and salt). Set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk the egg, then whisk in the milk.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir to combine and eliminate any clumps. Stir just enough, but try not to overmix. You don't want air bubbles in your bread!
Preheat a heavy-bottom 6" skillet (e.g. cast iron
) over medium heat.
Add just enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan (I recommend a nonstick spray if you have one - the less grease you use, the better, so use just enough to prevent sticking).
Pour 6 Tablespoons of batter into the pan and quickly and gently shake/tilt the pan to spread the batter into a thin, even layer across the bottom of the pan. It's ok if the batter looks too thin; the flatbreads will rise slightly during cooking.
Cook slowly over medium heat for several minutes until the bottom is firm and golden. Flip and cook until the other side is equally cooked and the inside of the bread is cooked through (not gummy)
- The trick to success is to keep the pan at the right moderate temperate and let the flatbreads cook slowly so that they cook through without burning.
- Some signs that your pan is too hot are...
- if the breads crack and break when you try to spread the batter over the bottom of the pan
- if the inside of the flatbreads are gummy
- if the outside of the breads are cooked and the insides are still wet/liquid
- If you think the pan is too hot, simply turn off the flame and let it cool for a few minutes before cooking the remaining batter.
- You can double this recipe, but you may need to add about 2 Tablespoons of milk about halfway through the cooking process if it thickens up too much.
- Ideally, instead of doubling, simply make two batches.
- Yield: 3 flatbreads, but multiply as necessary
Calories: 134kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 62mg | Sodium: 217mg | Potassium: 23mg | Fiber: 4g | Vitamin A: 1.8% | Calcium: 9.4% | Iron: 4.7%