You didn’t honestly think I would let Valentine’s Day pass without something chocolate, right? Now that we have gotten the obligatory cute cutout cookies out of the way, let’s get down to brass tacks. Er, chocolate tacks.
To print, please copy and paste the recipe text into a word document
- 1/4 cup mashed soft avocado (do your best to pick out the stringy fibers)
- 3 ounces good quality dark chocolate (at least 70%; use a dairy-free brand if necessary)
- 1 large egg + 1 large yolk (replace with flax eggs if vegan)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder plus more for ramekins
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons honey (or to taste; replace with agave or maple syrup if vegan)
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Thoroughly coat two 3.5-ounch oven-safe ramekins first with nonstick spray and then with cocoa powder.
- Micowave chopped chocolate for approximately 2 minutes, then stir until totally melted. Add avocado and beat until smooth. Mix in eggs and vanilla, then salt, then cocoa powder, mixing thoroughly between each addition. Add honey and mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared ramekins, filling each to about half an inch below the top of the ramekin. Smooth the tops of each dish. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the tops become matte (except for a small circle of shininess in the center of the tops of the cakes) and the cakes begin to pull away from the edges of the ramekins.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool for a minute or two before removing cakes from pans. Garnish with fruit or whipped cream if desired. Serve immediately.
Makes two lava cakes.
Note: If you want to make these ahead, bake for 9-10 minutes, and then finish baking for 2-4 more minutes in a preheated oven.