- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup vanilla almond milk
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons coconut flour
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 cup very cold vegan butter or shortening
- Prepare the vegan buttermilk: combine the lemon juice and almond milk in a bowl or glass, stir gently, and set aside to curdle.
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the almond and coconut flour a few times to break up all of the clumps.
- Add the butter and pulse 5-7 times until it is broken into clumps slightly smaller than a pea.
- With the processor running, add the buttermilk in a thin stream until the dough forms a paste.
- Turn off the machine and let it sit for 60 seconds before proceeding (this allows the flour to absorb the moisture from the buttermilk)
- Turn the dough out on to a piece of wax or parchment paper, gather into a ball and press into a thick disc. Cover with another piece of wax or parchment paper and roll into a flat disc about 10"-11" in diameter. Loosen the parchment from both sides of the dough and then carefully slide the dough into a lightly greased 9" pie or tart pan.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (and up to overnight) before using.
- To pre-bake: Preheat the oven to 350F. Once preheated, transfer the pan from the fridge to the oven without letting it warm to room temperature and bake for 12-15 minutes until the edges begin to turn slightly golden. Remove from oven and cool slightly before filling and finishing the baking process. (Note: If the recipe does not call for pre-baking the pie shell, skip this step)