This easy, 5-ingredient (plus water) pie crust is the perfect base for all of your sweet or savory pies and quiches! Plus, it’s gluten free, grain-free, and vegan.
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/2 cup cassava flour
- 1 Tablespoon tapioca flour
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 5 Tablespoons palm shortening
- 5-6 Tablespoons ice cold water (or more, depending on consistency)
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 9" pie plate.
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the almond flour, cassava flour, tapioca flour, and sea salt a few times to mix and break up all of the clumps.
- Add the shortening and pulse until it is well incorporated into the dough. It's fine if small clumps remain; they should be no later than a pea.
- With the processor running, add the water, one tablespoon at a time, until the dough comes together in a ball.
- Turn off the machine and feel the dough. It should be tacky, even sticky, but not wet. Let sit for 2 minutes before proceeding (this allows the flours to absorb the water).
- Turn the dough out on to a piece of wax or parchment paper, gather into a ball and press into a thick disc. Cover with another piece of wax or parchment paper and roll into a flat disc about 10"-11" in diameter. Loosen the parchment from both sides of the dough and then carefully slide the dough into a lightly greased 9" pie or tart pan. It is very delicate! If it breaks, just press it back together with your fingertips.
- Use tin foil or a crust shield to lightly cover the edges of the crust.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool slightly before filling and finishing the baking process. (Note: If the recipe does not call for pre-baking the pie shell, skip this step)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 269Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 70mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 6g