Paleo oatmeal: does that sound like a contradiction in terms to you? It’s not! There are no grains in this recipe; just a hearty, warming bowl of faux-tmeal (<– get it?) bursting with warm fall flavors of apples and cinnamon!
Another paleo oatmeal??
You may be wondering why this variation of grain free hot cereal merits an entire new post, instead of just a list of possible add-ins and variations on the original version.
Well, the short answer is that I thought about doing that but it turns out it’s not that simple since the applesauce adds more moisture, that then has to be compensated for by adjusting the other ingredients, so – wait. That’s the long answer. You get the point.
Ultimately, I just want you to know that, like most things in life, while the plain “vanilla” version of yesterday’s grain free hot cereal is really good, there are lots of ways to spice it up and make it your own. I went with apple cinnamon because it befits the season, but you can really use any sort of sauce or puree in its place.
Mix it up!
Because this paleo oatmeal accounts for the additional moisture already, that means you can add and kind of flavor puree – try pumpkin! – and any spice you like – maybe pumpkin pie spice instead of the cinnamon? – to make it whatever you’re in the mood for.
Wait, did I just tell you how to make a variation on the variation? I think I have flavor ADD – I’m always thinking of how to make a dish bigger, better, and tastier.
But the thing is that this apple cinnamon version is big enough, good enough, and more than tasty enough, so if it ain’t broke…well, just try it and let me know what you think!
- 2 Tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 Tablespoons shredded unsweetened coconut
- pinch fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated monk fruit sweetener , or stevia (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon,, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk of choice
- 4 ounces unsweetened applesauce, (about 1/2 cup)
- In a microwave-safe bowl, mix together the coconut flour, shredded coconut, salt, sweetener and cinnamon.
- Add the vanilla and the milk, stir briefly, and then add the applesauce and stir vigorously until combined. It may be a little thinner consistency than you'd like, but don't add more milk yet.
- Microwave on high for 45-60 seconds. Stir and microwave another 30-60 seconds until it reaches your desired temperature. If it has thickened too much, stir in 1-2 Tablespoons additional milk until it thins out to your preferred consistency. Taste, and adjust sweetener and cinnamon if desired.
- Consume immediately.
- This hot cereal is best consumed immediately after making it. It spoils quickly, and should not be made ahead if you can avoid it.
- Omit the sweetener for Whole30 compliance.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: g
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 219Saturated Fat: 10gSodium: 118mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 9gSugar: 12gProtein: 3g