Pop quiz: what goes better with sweet potato fries than a burger?
Why? It’s just a rule of the universe. Duh.
Paleo Veggie Sliders
- 1/2 cup dried buckwheat groats
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion or shallot, minced (about 1/3 cup minced)
- 12 whole baby bella mushrooms, minced (about 2 cup minced)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh red pepper (you can substitute shredded carrot if you want)
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 Tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten (vegans can replace this with a flax egg or other substitute)
- 2 Tablespoons ground flax
- 2 Tablespoons coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Bring 1 cup of water to a boil. Add buckwheat groats and cook, stirring regularly, until thick and gooey. The water will not be fully absorbed, but will turn into a sort of starchy slurry. Don’t worry, the liquid will get absorbed as it cools. Allow the groats to cool completely, uncovered, until they reach room temperature.
- Heat about 2 Tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet and add the onions. Sautee for a couple of minutes before adding the mushrooms, red pepper, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring gently, until veggies are soft, and remove from heat to cool slightly.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the buckwheat, veggies, thyme, egg, flax, coconut flour, paprika, and garlic powder. Mix thoroughly to combine. Don’t be afraid to use your hands if necessary!
- Preheat the oven to 350F and cover a baking sheet or dish with a nonstick pad or parchment paper .
- Use an ice cream scoop to portion the batter into about 8 small balls, arranged evenly on the prepared baking sheet. (You can make fewer, larger portions, but you’ll have to increase the baking time accordingly.) Press down gently to flatten into a thick patty.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes until edges are slightly golden. Let the patties cool on the baking sheet. They will firm up as they cool.
- Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or in the freezer for 3 months.
Do you want to become a grilling pro? Need a new grill? #BurgerWeek sponsor Broil King wants to give you the chance to win one of their high-performance gas grills (a $549+tax value) plus burger grilling accessories to use in your home!