You can always tell for sure that the seasons have changed, as opposed to just entering a cold snap, by one simple litmus test: where the cat sleeps. If it is still summer, no matter how cool the day and how aggressive the air conditioning, the cat avoids the bed like the plague. If, however, it is fall or winter, you’ll be woken up several times throughout the night (if, that is, you sleep at all, but that’s a discussion for another day) by paws in your face and a dense, furry body trying to burrow directly into your ribcage for warmth. And so, after a cold, sleepless undoubtedly-fall night of being pawed in the face and ribs, only the promise of a (homemade) pumpkin spice latte is consolation enough to expend the effort necessary to get out of bed and face the day.
Pumpkin Spice Latte
- 3/4 cup vanilla almond milk
- 1-2 teaspoons espresso powder (see note)
- Heaping 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup (or to taste)
- Dissolve the espresso powder into the almond milk and bring to a scald (tiny bubbles around the outer rim). Do not let boil.
- Whisk in the remaining ingredients.
- Serve immediately.
(3) Makes one large or two small lattes.