Is there any combination of foods more familiar and soothing than cream of tomato soup with grilled cheese (or grilled cheeze, for the vegan and lactose-intolerant crowd)?
As half of the country is probably still working on shoveling itself out of a snowdrift, there’s no better time to re-enact that classic Campbell’s commercial where the kid warms up with a steaming bowl of tomato soup.
Only…let’s face it, who wants to eat that shelf stable version with one million ingredients when a an all-natural and vegan cream of tomato soup made of only 3 ingredients (plus salt, pepper and spices) is only a blender whirl away?
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced sweet onion
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 4-5 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces or 1 3/4 cups) coconut milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- In a large stockpot, head the oil and sauté the onions on medium high heat until translucent.
- Add the spices and fry until fragrant.
- Add the crushed tomatoes to the pot, stir to combine and bring to a simmer and cook 5 more minutes. This allows the flavors to mingle a little.
- Turn off the heat and carefully pour the tomato mixture into the jar of a blender. Add the coconut milk, salt and pepper and blend on high/liquify setting until smooth. Taste and adjust spices to your preference.
- Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days or in the fridge for up to a month.