Is there any combination of foods more familiar and soothing than cream of tomato soup with grilled cheese (or grilled cheeze, for the vegan and lactose-intolerant crowd)?
As half of the country is probably still working on shoveling itself out of a snowdrift, there’s no better time to re-enact that classic Campbell’s commercial where the kid warms up with a steaming bowl of tomato soup.
Only…let’s face it, who wants to eat that shelf stable version with one million ingredients when a an all-natural and vegan cream of tomato soup made of only 3 ingredients (plus salt, pepper and spices) is only a blender whirl away?
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced sweet onion
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 4-5 cups crushed tomatoes
- 15 ounces unsweetened full fat coconut milk (1 3/4 cups)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or to taste
In a large stockpot, head the oil and sauté the onions on medium high heat until translucent.
Add the spices and fry until fragrant.
Add the crushed tomatoes to the pot, stir to combine and bring to a simmer and cook 5 more minutes. This allows the flavors to mingle a little.
Turn off the heat and carefully pour the tomato mixture into the jar of a blender. Add the coconut milk, salt and pepper and blend on high/liquify setting until smooth. Taste and adjust spices to your preference.
Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days or in the fridge for up to a month.