Individual Grain-Free Cherry Rhubarb Pies
For the filling
- 1 heaping packed cup fresh rhubarb (see note)
- 1 heaping packed cup roughly chopped sour cherries (see note)
- 1 Tablespoon ground flax
- 2 Tablespoons raw or coconut sugar + more for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup blanched almond flour
- 2 Tablespoons coconut flour
- Pinch salt
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 2 Tablespoons raw or coconut sugar
- 1 large egg + 1 Tablespoon milk, beaten together to make an egg wash (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together all of the filling ingredients. Divide into two ramekins.
- In another small mixing bowl, stir together all of the crust ingredients until it forms a ball. Turn out on to a nonstick surface and press into a ball, then flatten into a disc large enough to trace or cut 2 circles the size of your ramekin out of. I used a biscuit cutter but you can just trace around the bottom of the ramekin with your knife to cut out the circles.
- Place each circle on top of the pie filling, and either leave room around the edges, or, if you’d like to seal the crust to the sides of the ramekin (pot pie-style), make sure to poke some holes in the top of the crust.
- Brush tops with egg wash, and sprinkle with additional raw or coconut sugar (optional) for shine and appearance.
- Place ramekins on a cookie sheet or other oven-proof tray. This will catch any overflowing juices and make it easier to handle the ramekins.
- Bake about 25 minutes or until tops are golden and fruit juice is thick, bubbly and overflowing.
- Let cool for 10 minutes or so, then serve.
(2) If not serving immediately, store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
(3) Makes 2 personal pies.