- 1 cup creamy natural unsweetened peanut butter, or your favorite unsweetened nut or seed butter
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar, you may substitute raw or coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1-2 Tablespoons flavorless oil, only use this if your nut butter is dry and crumbly; omit if your nut butter has the texture of a thick, viscous liquid, if needed
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Beat peanut butter and sugar together on high until smooth.
- Add vanilla, salt, eggs, and oil and mix to combine.
- Add cocoa powder, and beat on medium speed until as smooth as possible. It will still be a little clumpy, but that’s ok.
- Roll into heaping 1 Tablespoon balls, and squeeze gently to make sure the dough is firmly compressed. Place on a cookie sheet 1-2″ apart.
- Press gently with the bottom of a fork in one direction and then the opposite to flatten slightly and create the crosshatch pattern.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Cool on the cookie sheet for 10-15 minutes (they will firm up while cooling) before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 2221 Saturated Fat: 21g Cholesterol: 372mg Sodium: 1629mg Carbohydrates: 279g Fiber: 27g Sugar: 185g Protein: 88g